Saturday, December 5, 2009

Some more interesting cultural differences


- Some Hindus hire female “professional mourners” to cry and wail at their funerals while the men celebrate.

- Some pregnant women in India consumer saffron in an effort to have lighter-skinned babies. I was asked if women ate A LOT of saffron during pregnancy in the US : )

- Even though dog food IS sold in India, I only see people feeding their dogs people food. Each day they put out bowls of rice and leftovers from their dinners for their pets.

- In Tamil Nadu (one region of India), “Have you had your breakfast?” is a common greeting. Since I work mostly with people from this region, I get asked this many times each day. It seemed a bit strange at first that people would care if I had eaten breakfast (and then ask what I’d eaten), but it’s really the equivalent of “How are you?”

- “White People” seems to be a perfectly acceptable, widely-used term here. A few times people have said to me, “I’ve told my family all about you and I hope you come to my house someday because my kids really like white people”. It always takes me by surprise and makes me chuckle as I try to imagine saying to my African-American friends back home - "Hey, want to come over to my house for dinner tonight? My family really likes black people". Too funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment