Friday, January 22, 2010

The $2-a-day Challenge

I started this amazing new class at Watermark church on Poverty. Every Thursday is now the highlight of my week. In addition to learning more of the stats on poverty and what the bible has to say about it, they help us plug into volunteer opportunities in Dallas and beyond.

One of the most interesting things we've learned is that almost 1/2 of the world lives on less than $2 a day. It's so hard to imagine how rich we are! Our class has challenged us to go 7 days living on $2 a day (so $14 for the week) and to drink nothing but tap water (since 1 in 6 people don't even have access to safe drinking water). These small challenges help keep the needy top of mind.

I've also felt really passionate lately about better understanding homelessness in Dallas, so I'm looking into churches that have programs that immerse you in homelessness for the weekend and let you experience it. How amazing would that be and how could it not alter your perspective and open your heart to the needy?

Finally, I'm considering planning a late Spring/early Summer trip to Haiti to help out with the situation there. Right now it's just a thought, but if you'd be interested in coming too, please let me know!

Other than that, I'm heading to Michigan this week to visit Ana, Justin and my adorable nieces and to do some recruiting at U of M. It's going to be cold!

2 comments:

  1. You are such an amazing human being Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Glad you're enjoying the class! Excited to see how God works...
    jeff

    ReplyDelete