Sunday, November 15, 2009

Celebrating Children’s Day

Friday our office had a full day of Prayer and Fasting. Afterward I saw the movie “2012” – an action-packed movie on the end of the earth. It had a great cast and was totally exhilarating. Even though it wasn’t the type of movie I typically watch, I really enjoyed it and recommend it if you’re in the mood for a real thrill! The movie theater at Garuda Mall was very nice and sold many types of food – from popcorn to pizza rolls to dim sung – but absolutely no candy! I guess the Milk Duds or Sour Patch Kids will have to wait : ) Again, the movie had an “intermission” which still makes me laugh, but the commercials were much better this time.

Halloween isn’t commonly celebrated here (yet), but in honor of “Children’s Day” the kids went to school on Friday in “Fancy Dress”. Fancy Dress is not what it sounds like (you imagine kids getting dressed up in nice clothes, right?). It’s essentially Halloween without the trick-or-treating. Nirell (the niece of the family I’m living with) went as a Princess. Looking totally adorable, she placed 3rd in her class’ costume contest. The best costumes in her class were a sunflower and an eagle.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday was a GREAT day. First, my “host” family made me cinnamon crepes. They don’t use cinnamon in sweet/breakfast foods here (it’s more common on meat) so that was yet another sweet act of kindness since I had mentioned that we often cook breakfast with it in the US.

Then I visited one of Mother Theresa’s orphanages where they care for handicapped children and babies who are waiting for local adoptions. They were giving medical exams to some of the tiniest babies I’ve ever seen! A lot of children are given up for adoption here since even poor families will often continue to have babies until they have a boy. All of the kids were precious and I made arrangements to come back to volunteer.

Later I went to the office to write project plans for 7 new volunteers starting next week and complete a database where we will store electronic case files on all of the trafficking victims we rescue.

After that I went to McDonald’s to celebrate “Children’s Day” with a colleague’s family. The place was mobbed because they were giving out 6 toys with every happy meal! I really love the McVeggie meals here, but it will be nice to have a good cheeseburger once I get back home : )

Then I went watch the children in our slum community programs put on a skit in honor of “Children’s Day”. The skit was written to teach local youth groups about issues in these communities. The kids (ages 8-17) were all dressed up and looked adorable! They traveled across town to perform, only to find out that the program had been canceled. They were so disappointed so I ran to the store and picked up fancy cakes, chips and drinks and hosted an impromptu Children’s Day party in a nearby park. It was lots of fun!

On the way home I knew I would be walking by one of the poorest areas in town. I’ve always thought about bringing them fruit since I walk by this slum every day, but I’ve been too nervous about how people would react. Would they be insulted if I offered them food? Would they mob me and get violent? Would they ask for money instead? Who knew…. Anyhow, today I got up the nerve and bought a big bag of bananas. Some of the women saw me coming and before I had to even offer, there was a crowd around me. But it was an awesome, kind, loving and grateful crowd. Everyone went crazy for the bananas but then stopped to hug me or shake my hand after taking one. It was incredible. I promised to be back tomorrow, and I hope to be back every day after that.

I ran into one of the sweet girls in our vocational program standing outside her tent/home with her two young nephews. Many babies here don’t wear diapers (or anything other than a shirt and sometimes a hat) so you have to be cautious when you hold them. But they were super cute! I have developed such an incredibly deep love for the people here… it will be hard to say goodbye next month.

Oh, on the way home a man on the street approached me, took out his penis and showed it to me. It’s the first sexual harassment I’ve had, and I consider myself incredibly blessed. I’ve been so mentally prepared for this in fact that when it happened, all I could think was… well that will be an interesting story for the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment