Friday, November 6, 2009

Clinton Foundation & Classical Music

Yesterday was yet ANOTHER school holiday. They happen almost every week here! This time they were celebrating the birthday of a poet. It amazes me that Indian children are so smart, because they seemed to be pulled out of school a lot!

This week I've been helping our Fair Trade business get ready for Christmas. We're finalizing our new brochures, printing banners to take to festivals, updating our tags, photographing our new items and planning inventory levels in order to achieve the profit we need. We've also started the LONG paperwork needed to complete our registration with the World Fair Trade Organization.

I also worked with the Anti-Human Trafficking team to identify their biggest team challenges so that we can come up with an action plan to address them. It looks like the biggest issues (which are likely common across many non-profits) are a lack of funding and people to get everything done. Actually, those are also Frito issues, so I guess they're common wherever you go!

One night I had the pleasure of attending an OWC Professional Women's Group wine event for the Clinton Foundation. I loved hearing their Indian CEO speak on their activities here and learned that they will be shifting their focus from HIV to Malnutrition (a much bigger issue here today).

Last night I attended a wonderful classical music concert and heard a trio of musicians from South African perform Beethoven, Mozart, etc. It brought back memories of my early days as a ballerina (since dance class always played classical music).

I'm already in my 7th week here and I can't believe how well it's gone thus far. Time is flying by, and I'm loving this experience. It's definitely met all of my expectations, and on top of that I've stayed safe and healthy.

I LOVE the team here and really enjoy spending time with all of my new friends. It will be sad to say goodbye in 5 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment