Saturday, November 14, 2009

Visiting the Schools

Today I visited the new slum preschool. Another NGO built a beautiful new school building in one of the slum communities where we work, and they were kind enough to let us merge our preschool class with theirs. The kids sang me a sweet song and were PRECIOUS. I wanted to take home every single one of them. Here is a pic of one of the cutest girls I’ve ever seen in my life!


After that I visited the new computer training center that Oasis just started (also in this same slum community). The equipment was very nice and every seat in the place was packed with young women learning Excel, PowerPoint, Word and the internet. It was really impressive.
The people in these communities are so amazing and I feel incredibly re-energized every time I’m able to get out of the office and visit with them. On top of that, the Oasis workers who serve these people everyday (most of whom actually grew up in these communities) are truly remarkable. I am in awe of their positive attitudes and the impact they are able to make with such a small staff.

It’s hard to believe that there was a brutal murder of a 19-yr old boy in this slum last week, as well as horrific abuse that one man did to a 4-yr old girl (I won’t go into detail here). You know God is here when people can manage to find so much hope in a place where incredible danger lurks everyday.

1 comment:

  1. It's inspiring and hopeful to see all the good work going on there!

    ReplyDelete