Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Day 2 begins

Yesterday was quite a day! Pretty exhausting but such an adventure.

I took the team out to an Indian lunch, it was fun to get to know the "operatives" (i.e. secret undercover agents) a bit better. They don't speak a lot of English but they're amazingly happy (ALWAYS cracking up) in spite of their challenging jobs. I love that they find the fun in what they do. They did a raid last week and freed 2 young girls. Another may happen this week. Here is a picture of a typical meal. It's customary here to eat with your hands. I've tried it but I'm much more comfortable with a fork : )
The afternoon was filled with visiting government homes for rescued children. Oasis partners with the government to handles the cases. The one for teen girls was quite nice and cozy. The girls seemed very happy - as though it was a big slumber party. They all called me "Auntie" and chased me, asking my name. So cute!I also did encounter 1 squat toilet - but that was okay. Later we went shopping. 3 guys and 1 woman from Oasis took me shopping. Quite a crew! I felt like it was a (more dusty) version of Pretty Woman. At the store, you sit and drink tea and the salespeople bring you clothes to look at and touch, but you don't try them on. I bought a few new outfits and a cell phone (which is pretty cool because it also has a flashlight feature)! The cell phone really came in handy later when my rickshaw driver couldn't understand me and I had to call my host family to help get me home.

I slept well last night except for the pack of wild dogs that decided to go crazy outside my window at 1 AM. I didn't mind too much though because it gave me a chance to give Dana a call and hear his voice : )

No comments:

Post a Comment