Thursday, September 24, 2009

Learning more about Fair Trade

Today I'm spending time at Jacob's Well - the fair-trade production unit where women from the slum communities learn to sew and sell their goods. The name Jacob's Well comes from Jesus' story where he speaks to the prostitute at the well. When JW first started, most of the women who worked here had been rescued from the brothels.

I also found a grocery store that seems to have a lot of great items (including TP - so they do sell it here!)

Thanks for all of your prayers! I probably shouldn't say this but today I rode a scooter on a crowded street, with no helmet, in the rain... so I'm sure they came in handy : ) [No, I'm not crazy - just didn't have much of a choice. It's the way things work here, and I actually felt pretty safe]

2 comments:

  1. Hi Christine: I'm so glad things are going well. I am trying to read your blog every day. Mary arrived yesterday and she already is driving Mom's car. A big, big hug, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine I am riveted! It is so much fun to read about what you are doing and all the little details - please keep it coming. All our love,
    A/J/S/L

    ReplyDelete