Friday, September 25, 2009

My anti-trafficking assignment

I've learned a bit more about what I may be doing to help with the anti-trafficking work. Oasis currently fights trafficking in several cities in India, but they are seeing a lot of girls being trafficked from another city, where there is not Oasis team working on this.

My role is to do a feasibility study on this citycity to help us start work there. If time allows, I will also help map the Southern trafficking routes to help us understand where the girls are coming from, how the traffickers are moving them, and where they are ending up. Finally, when our new home opens for girls who have been rescued, I plan to live there for sometime and work directly with the victims during their rehabilitation. This is all so exciting!

Today I'm spending time working on the Fair Trade business. I'm making a list of all the nice local hotel gift shops and fair-trade shops that I could reach out to to carry our goods, scheduling meetings with the Fair Trade Forum of India to collect more info on the macrostatus of fair trade in India, and reaching out to environmental sustainability experts to see what we can do to make our business more "green" in addition to promoting fair-trade.

On a different note, I think I've adjusted to the time difference. Jet lag really wasn't bad! However, I am really struggling with the lunch hour - 2 PM! Even when I eat breakfast and snack at 10, I'm still starving. TGFGB (thank god for granola bars)
Today I tried Biryani for lunch. I think it's like an Indian version of fried rice. Delicious! It cost 35 rupees - which is less than 1 dollar. Yesterday I splurged for sandwiches and took a coworker out to a touristy spot - that lunch was $10. So food costs vary greatly depending on whether you are in the mood to eat Indian : )

No comments:

Post a Comment