Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Wrapping up Day 2

Today was a really inspiring day! Each of the different teams in the Oasis office is working on long-term strategic plans, so today I worked with the Community Empowerment team in laying out their 5 yr strategy to meet the needs of the slum communities that they serve.

I was so impressed with the vision of their leadership and I witnessed some incredible skills in change management. It was fun to contribute but I learned a ton as well.

You know you're on to something good when you just want to dive into the work as soon as you're finished laying out the strategy! I wish I had more time to work with each of the different Oasis teams because I'm so passionate about all of the work that is being done.

Right now we're thinking that I'll spend 3 days a week working on developing their fair trade business, 1 day a week fighting sex trafficking and 1 day a week working in the community (i.e. teaching young girls life skills to prevent human trafficking, early pregnancy, etc. and identifying critical alliances with other NGOs/corporations to help Oasis improve life in the slums).

On a different note, I wanted to mention that it hasn't been pouring here every day! Looking at the weather before I came, it seemed like it rained here literally every day - so I was expecting to basically be like a wet dog for 3 months. However, I was pleased to find out that it typically rains at night or just a light rain in the evening. That was great news : )

No comments:

Post a Comment