Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Whole New World

There are times when I start to feel like things aren't really all that different in India. But there are other times when things really amaze me. Here are 2 examples from yesterday:

1. I decide to pop into a small beauty salon to get my eyebrows and lip "threaded" (they do this instead of waxing here). They did an awesome job and the cost was 35 rupees (~75 cents). When I rounded up and gave them 1 dollar (50 rupees), they were shocked that I gave so much and totally confused. I do think they tip here, so I'm just as confused. Either way, I'm thrilled that I spent $1 on 2 services at the beauty salon!

2. My wonderful host family (that I truly adore) is building another home in the outskirts of Bangalore. They went to check on construction progress and found a large ant hill in the middle of it. They said the ant hill is over half as tall as I am! And a cobra (snake) lives in it! This apparently is not unusual or shocking to them. First an ant hill grows, then cobras live in them, then the Hindus think it's a god and build a temple there. Fascinating stuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment