Sunday, October 25, 2009

A fun weekend of Gardens and Saris



Saturday I visited Bangalore’s Botanical Gardens with 4 donors who were visiting from Seattle. Strangers approached us multiple times asking to take photos with us. It’s the first time I’ve walked around in a group of Westerners, and it’s the first time I noticed everyone staring. So far, that hasn’t happened much. The gardens were quiet nice, and it’s wonderful to find sanctuaries of quiet away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

Saturday night my host family dressed me up in a sari for “India Night” – a theme party hosted by the Overseas Womens Club. The event was held at the Grand Ballroom of the Leela Palace Hotel – so it was pretty much as nice as it gets (similar to a wedding at the Four Seasons). It’s amazing how painting your nails and straightening your hair for the first time in a month can make you feel like a totally different person! I loved wearing a sari and had a blast taking photos, getting henna painted, participating in a silent auction and raffle, eating a delicious dinner, sampling wines and watching a modern dance performance. The memorable event was one of my favorite experiences in India!

1 comment:

  1. The flower and butterfly are gorgeous. Great shot, Christine!

    ReplyDelete