Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Would you like some Hot Milk with that?

I find it fascinating that despite how hot this country is, people in India drink all of their liquids lukewarm or hot. In fact, they believe that drinking cold drinks actually gives you a cold. Foreigners are the only people who order cold water at restaurants!

Although you can buy it at the store, most families still have milk home-delivered (like we used to in the US a long time ago). Each morning, I’m served hot milk (either to drink alone or to pour into my cereal or porridge). It was strange at first to have cereal with hot milk, but if you can get past soggy corn flakes, it’s really quite good. When the milk in my cup starts to cool it congeals across the top and gets this gooey film. They call this the “cream” and they really seem to enjoy it. I subtly remove it and set it aside, which they once caught me doing and think is weird behavior.

On a different note, have I mentioned that eggs are sold unrefrigerated here? It’s odd to see stacks of eggs on the end of the aisle at the store or out in the open at a market. Yet when they bring them home, they do refrigerate them. Interesting…

And finally, it seems to be the trend to paint your fingernails on just one hand here. I’ve seen 3 people with it like that. And ironically the hand that they choose to paint is the one they consider “dirty” (because they use their left hand instead of toilet paper and eat with their right hand). Makes no sense to me…

No comments:

Post a Comment