Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The sad realities for some children here...

Monday I compiled case studies and statistics on child trafficking and incest in India. The findings are going to be published in a booklet designed to increase awareness and prayer re: children’s issues in India – and ultimately aid prevention. While it felt like the work I was doing was valuable, it was strange to be googling words like “incest”. I kept thinking that Frito security was going to come confiscate my computer : ) My world here is so different from life back home.

The stories the case worker shared with me are truly horrifying. Since these are going to be published broadly, I can share one with you now:

13 yr old Ramya* was one of four girls. Her mother later remarried (after her initial husband divorced her) and had three more daughters. Ramya’s step-father eventually began demanding sex with her every day and sending her to have sex with his friends. Her mother was aware of what was happening and demanded that Ramya obey his wishes so that they would not lose the sole family provider.

We became aware of the situation when Ramya’s sisters ended up in a girls home after their mother sold them as domestic house slaves and they were burned and starved. Today Ramya’s step-father is in prison and the case is proceeding in court. (*Ramya’s name has been changed)

I realize that was depressing, so I’ll end today’s post with some things I’m thankful for:
1. That I grew up in a safe home where my parents protected me
2. That I’ve been in India almost 3 weeks and haven’t been sick yet
3. That my host family is AMAZING (in fact, yesterday was their wedding anniversary and they took ME out to dinner to celebrate)

2 comments:

  1. Hard as it was to read Half the Sky by Kristof and WuDunn, it is a powerful, timely book about this subject. Thank you for recommending it. I figure if the women and girls profiled had to endure what they did, the least I could do was read about it and try to do something to help. Thank you for what you are doing, Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Christine, I'm sitting here in my office crying reading this heartbreaking story, yet so proud of you for the work you're doing to save those children.

    Love you!
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete