Saturday, October 3, 2009

Movies and McDonalds

This weekend I saw a Hindi movie (Wake Up Sid). About 1/2 the movie was in Hindi and 1/2 was in English, but it was a pretty predictable movie so I did fine without understanding all of the language. I really enjoyed it actually!

After that I had McDonald's here for the 1st time. Like Dominoes, they don't serve beef or pork. I had something that was close to a Big Mac, but made with chicken. It was pretty good. They have both fries and potato wedges, both of which are excellent. I was told not to take my chances on fountain soda but I decided to give it a shot - so far I'm okay! I didn't get ice though. There was an oily film across the top of it though - a little weird.

On our way home we drove past a Muslim wedding, where it was explained to me that the bridge and groom at these weddings are not allowed to (ever) see each other. Sometimes the wedding takes place and they're in completely different buildings! Some of them meet that night (married) for the very first time.

On a similar note, the evaluation meeting for the semi-arranged Hindu marriage that my host family is helping with went well. The potential groom met the girl briefly and said okay, so they say it's 90% going to happen now. Such a different world!

Today I was thrilled to be invited for lunch at one of most host family's daughter's home. She has a nice apartment nearby, but sadly she's leaving the country (and her husband) soon to move to Dubai for the year to work as a teacher and save some money (they get paid better there).

I tried puris for the first time - kind of a fried bread thing. I really liked them! Reminded me a bit of funnel cake or donuts. My Indian host family has gone out of their way to make me American food the past few days (it's pretty hilarious and very cute) so I've eaten less Indian food then before. They've made pasta several times, burgers and even ordered pizza. Then they make spicy Indian food for themselves : )

I had considered taking a walking tour of Bangalore, but decided I didn't want to wake up at 5 AM to get there in time for the 7 AM start (it was far away). Maybe another weekend!

Today I also discovered a dry cleaning place (6 items for $1.50) and a movie rental place (60 cents) nearby. I rented Marley and Me and bawled my eyes out.

2 comments:

  1. their meal is a quite different from what we have here..but all well..

    ReplyDelete
  2. what is that? is this about movies? then take this Animated Movies online

    ReplyDelete