Thursday, October 29, 2009

More things I’ve found interesting here lately…


• What has been most shocking to me to here is to see some women completely covered in full bhurkas (where everything is hidden except their eyes). I really wasn’t expecting that, as I hadn’t thought much about the Muslim population in India. What is the most surprising is to me is that even though they don’t want to be seen, sometimes their black bhurkas are bedazzled with sequins or fancy embroidery!

• There are no top sheets in India (but no fitted sheets either – the top flat sheet is tucked in as a bottom sheet)

• Drivers often turn their cars off at red lights to save gas.

• (Even cheap) cell phones often double as flashlights. I love this feature on my phone and it has come in very handy!

• Men are frequently seen holding hands. Never women/men or women/women – just men/men. I was told there is nothing homosexual about this, even though homosexual activity does go on here behind the scenes. Try as I might, I just can’t picture Jaya and Eapen walking down the hallway at work holding hands : )

• I was told by an Indian beautician at the beauty salon that Westerners will try to be courteous and always say the work “looks great!” (whether it does or not) while Indians always look for something criticize.

• People don’t have the same “filter” here that we use in America. If they think you’re fat, they’ll just come out and tell you. (i.e. “oh your old teacher didn’t recognize you? Probably because you’re fat now.) I’m so shocked every time I hear these comments, but no one else seems to notice that anything rude was said. (and they don’t say them jokingly)

• Advertisements frequently come through my cell phone – SO annoying! When I get a text half the time it’s just an ad.

• All electrical outlets have a switch (like a lightswitch) that has to be turned on each time you want to use anything (like a computer or TV) and turned off when you’re done. I imagine this saves a lot of energy. (That’s when the power is working, because power outages are very common)

1 comment:

  1. We're loving reading all your impressions of India and observations from a westerner's viewpoint. I'll bet your travel sheet has come in handy many times! We look forward to joining you there! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete